I was introduced to the delicious flavor of falafels during a Luncheon at the Bessborough Hotel in Saskatoon with our Assistent Representative from Sweden. Since that time I have come to enjoy preparing them myself, so when I found this recipe for a Burger version I could not resist trying it. For a refreshing meal on a hot summers eve add a fresh salad such as the watermelon one I have included here.
- 1/3 cup oat flour (grind in mill or whip oat flakes in blender)
- 1 cup drained, rinsed chickpeas
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Process the above in blender till smooth, will need to push down sides occassionally as this is very thick. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Then add the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
Stir this well and allow flavors to blend one hour before shaping into patties. Grill 3 – 4 minutes per side. Makes 4 patties. Serve on fresh whole wheat buns or in a pita. Top with Dill Sauce (recipe below) or store bought Masala Dressing for a nice twist.
- 6 oz yogurt
- 1 cup cucumber
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tbsp. salad dressing
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whiz together in blender till creamy. Keeps in refrigerator for several days.
- 3 cups course chopped watermelon
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped mint or basil (according to your taste preference)
- 2 tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Toss all ingredients gently and serve chilled.
Enjoy and happy cooking!