Spring is finally here and that means we are all anxious to light the grill and have our first burgers of the season. I was actually looking for something "fresh" for spring and came across a picture of this and couldn't resist trying it, the original recipe used a cake mix but of course ours is home made with my Yogurt Cake recipes. It does contain some fresh fruit so I guess that counts as the fresh. This turned out great was easy to do and would be a wonderful end to your first cookout of the season!!
Requires the Ankarsrum Mixer: I made this with the stainless bowl and roller/scraper combo to show how it can just as easily be used for small cakes as bread and larger batches of cookies etc but if you prefer this would be excellent in the plastic bowl with cookie whips as well.
Ingredients for Yogurt Cake:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
Beat these together then add 1/2 of the dry ingredients then yogurt then rest of dry ingredients
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- (1/4 cup powdered cocoa and 1/4 cup yogurt set aside for later)
Beat together and pour 2/3 of the batter into a greased/floured 8 inch round cake pan. Add the cocoa and 1/4 cup extra yogurt to the remaining batter, pour this into another greased/floured 8 inch pan.
Bake cakes at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes till the white cake is done and looks like the top of a bun. Cool 5 minutes remove from pans and cool on rack.
To make the burger toppings you will need:
- 2 cups of strawberries cut in half
- 4 kiwis
- 2 cups buttercream frosting
- orange food coloring or 1 tbsp powdered orange jello
- 2 cups whipped cream (coolwhip would also work but be much sweeter)
- cut white cake in half crosswise
- spread cake with just enough frosting to hold the chocolate cake on (1/4 cup)
- top the chocolate cake with a layer of frosting (about 3/4 cup)
- top with layer of strawberries
- then a layer of sliced kiwis
- mix together remaining frosting, coloring and whipped cream spread this to look like melted cheese.
- Place top of cake on top and enjoy your Hamburger Cake!
Really easy to make and they all guessed it was a burger so must of turned out ok!!