Posted on June 14 2011
- 5 1/4 cups hot water
- 1 1/2 cup scald milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup Lecithin (optional)
- 3/4 cup ground Flax Seed
- 3 Tbsp. yeast
- 1 cup Rye Flour
- 8 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 6 cups White Flour
- Add milk, water,honey, molasses,oil and flax to mixer.
- Add the Rye flour, 4 cups of the Whole Wheat flour and the yeast to the Assistent Bowl.
- Mix this gently for about 1 minute. Cover with a towel and let form a sponge for approx. 15 min.
- Then move roller out about 1 inch, add salt and remainder of Whole Wheat flour, 5 cups of White flour.
- Mix gently and if dough comes away from wall when roller is pulled towards the middle that is enough flour if still sticky add a bit more, dough will remain some what sticky but should come loose from wall of bowl when enough has been added.
- Mix another 8 – 10 minutes with the speed dial at about 3:30. Check and dough should look smooth and somewhat shiny, if not knead another 2 minutes to allow gluten to form.
- Remove roller and scraper, cover and let rise in bowl till muffin appears over top of bowl.
- Remove dough, shape into loaves. Makes 5 large loaves.
- Allow to raise in a warm room for about 1 hour or till 2 inches over pan.
- Bake in 375 oven for about 45 minutes.
I like to grind my flax in the blender just before mixing as it adds a nice nutty flavor if fresh ground. For a softer crust add about 1 1/2 cups water to a pan and set in bottom of oven. I prefer to use the roller over hook as it gently stretches the dough verses tearing making for a silky, fine textured bread.