- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup whole whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 cups white flour ( may need a bit more but that is what I use)
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- place 3/4 cup of the water into a bowl, add the sugar and the yeast and let sit for 10 minutes, not sure why but even with instant yeast I find this recipes works better if I allow it to activate together for a bit. Add the whole wheat flour and let si for 10 minutes.
- while this is activating add remaining water, salt and oil into the stainless steel bowl. Mix together using the roller and scraper. Add the yeast once it is starting to get active. Add 4 cups of flour, you will have a sticky dough but not really wet...if still wet add a bit more flour
Allow to knead for about 8 minutes, cover and rest for 10 minutesm knead again and allow to double in bulk. Knead again and place in fridge for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
Place pizza steel or pizza stone in oven and preheat to 475. The key to a great puff is a super hot surface to place the pitas on to bake. NO steel or stone a super hot cast pan will do as well. You can even do these stove top in a pan if you like but oven is better.
Divide dough into 16 pieces and shape into balls. I like to cover and leave sit for a few minutes before rolling as seem to be easier to handle.
Remove a few balls at a time from cover and press flat with hande or I have a tortilla press that works great. Then roll even flatter, you want them about an 1.8 of an inch thick.
- Carfefully place them onto your heated steel and bake a few at a time depending on size of steel. Bake for 2 minutes, they will have puffed by then, careully turn over and back another minute. You want baked but not browned or will be to hard, will likely see a few spots with a tinge of brown.
Rmove from over and place on rack to cool, they will flatten as wel, stack with a piece of parchment or I prefer paper towlel as it absorbs moisture too. Repeat with the rest of the dough balls.
- When done they will keep for a few days or freeze with paper between and take out as needed.
- Enjoy stuffed with your favortites as I did when fresh and then after frozen enjoyed as personal pizzas.